India, China record world`s highest urbanisation
Washington: Cities in India, China and Africa are recording the world`s highest rates of urbanisation, according to a new study.
Population growth is driving urbanisation, especially in developing regions like India, says Burak Güneralp, research assistant professor in geography at Texas A&M University.
"This massive urbanisation...is happening worldwide, but India, China and Africa have experienced the highest rates of urban land expansion," Güneralp explains.
Güneralp, who led the study, says by 2030 expanding cities will gobble up a landmass as big as Mongolia or 590,000 sq miles, globally.
He is part of a team that includes three other researchers from Yale, Stanford and Arizona State, the journal Public Library of Science ONE reports.
"Our study covered the 30 years from 1970 to 2000, and we found that urban growth is occurring at the highest rates in developing countries," according to a Texas statement.
The United Nations predicts that by 2030 there will be an additional 1.47 billion people living in urban areas.
"Where cities grow the most seem to be near coastal areas, and this is a very noticeable trend," Güneralp says.
"This makes coastal areas a special area of concern because people and infrastructures are at risk to rising sea levels, flooding, hurricanes, tsunamis and other disasters. "All over the world, people like to live by the water, so it`s a trend that will likely not change."
Güneralp adds that often urbanisation occurs near lands that are environmentally sensitive and in some cases, protected by law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket