India has huge role to play in Silk Road`s success: Grossman
Washington: India has an important role to play in the success of the New Silk Road, a concept being pushed by the US government to boost trade and business between South and Central Asia, a former US official has said.
"It means the economic success of India, Central Asian producers into Indian markets and vice versa with Afghanistan and Pakistan in the center," said Mark Grossman, the former Special US Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan.
"I think India has a huge and important role to play in the success of the New Silk Road. It is trying to connect Central Asian economies with South Asian economies," he said Monday in his address to the Brookings Institute, a Washington-based eminent American think-tank.
The concept was introduced by former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, during her visit to India back in 2010.
Praising India`s role in Afghanistan, Grossman said both New Delhi and Islamabad needs to work together.
"India can be part of this larger effort to have a secure, stable, prosperous Afghanistan inside of a secure, stable, prosperous region.
And look what India`s doing today. For example, there is some training of Afghan security forces that takes place in India. I think that`s a really important thing," he said.
"When I was the special representative, we supported that. Indian investment in Afghanistan is substantial, and I think that`s important. India has pledged a long-term economic assistance to Afghanistan. That`s also important," Grossman said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday