India has huge role to play in Silk Road`s success: Grossman
Washington: India has an important role to play in the success of the New Silk Road, a concept being pushed by the US government to boost trade and business between South and Central Asia, a former US official has said.
"It means the economic success of India, Central Asian producers into Indian markets and vice versa with Afghanistan and Pakistan in the center," said Mark Grossman, the former Special US Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan.
"I think India has a huge and important role to play in the success of the New Silk Road. It is trying to connect Central Asian economies with South Asian economies," he said Monday in his address to the Brookings Institute, a Washington-based eminent American think-tank.
The concept was introduced by former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, during her visit to India back in 2010.
Praising India`s role in Afghanistan, Grossman said both New Delhi and Islamabad needs to work together.
"India can be part of this larger effort to have a secure, stable, prosperous Afghanistan inside of a secure, stable, prosperous region.
And look what India`s doing today. For example, there is some training of Afghan security forces that takes place in India. I think that`s a really important thing," he said.
"When I was the special representative, we supported that. Indian investment in Afghanistan is substantial, and I think that`s important. India has pledged a long-term economic assistance to Afghanistan. That`s also important," Grossman said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister