India-London flights cancelled due to volcanic ash
London: All flights from India to London have been cancelled due ash spewed from a volcano, erupted in nearby Iceland, making visibility very poor. The Eyjafjallajokull glacier had erupted on Wednesday, leaving tons of smoke and ash in the atmosphere.
The grounding of flights on the British Airport came as hundreds of people fled Iceland because of rising flood waters around the volcano under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier.
It is believed that the tiny particles of glass, rock and sand present in the ash cloud may jam aircraft engines like they had once done to a British Airways plane in 1982.
Shutdown of such a large number of European airports, including Heathrow, has been done owing to security reasons for the first time.
Europe`s busiest airport — London`s Heathrow — had at least 150 flights canceled, while London`s Gatwick airport had 138 canceled early morning itself.
In Britain, flights were suspended in the English cities of Manchester and Birmingham, as well as in Northern Ireland`s Belfast and the Scottish airports at Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
European air traffic from Scotland to Scandinavia and the Netherlands was disrupted by volcanic ash spreading from Iceland, closing down airports and stalling flights.
Air traffic in northern Finland was also halted.
Airport chiefs said that the ash is likely to pass northern England by the afternoon, but, as of now, all flights had been cancelled.
The halting of operations at airports in London as well as major European cities has caused much inconvenience and confusion among passengers. The airlines have already stated that they would be refunding passengers or offering them the option to take another flight.
The eruption in the Eyjafjallajoekull area is the second in a month, but this time it has released ash to significantly greater heights.
Iceland, a nation of 320,000 people, sits on a large volcanic hot spot in the Atlantic`s mid-oceanic ridge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India