‘India looks forward to cooperating in new Libya`s
Tripoli: Visiting Indian Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed Monday said that India greatly appreciates the onset of democracy in Libya and looks forward to enhancing cooperation in areas that are vital for new Libya`s stability and growth.
Ahamed, who is visiting Libya from April 14-16 at the invitation of Libyan Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdulaziz, said India, being the largest democracy, greatly appreciates the onset of democracy in Libya and looks forward to further enrich it through cooperation in vital sectors that are essential for new Libya`s stability, reconstruction, development and institution and capacity building.
Ahamed`s visit is the first high level Indian visit to Libya after that of the then Indian external affairs minister in 2007.
Ahamed Monday called on Mohammad Yousef Al-Magarief, president of the General National Congress, and Prime Minister Ali Zeidan.
Both leaders welcomed the return of Indian companies and Indians to Libya to partake in the reconstruction and development of new Libya, said a statement.
Both sides expressed satisfaction at the excellent bilateral relations as well as cooperation in the field of health, education, IT, pharmaceuticals sectors.
President Al-Magarief thanked India`s offer of providing assistance and expertise in drafting of Libyan Constitution and expressed a desire to be benefited from India`s experience.
"They also assured of looking into the financial losses suffered by the Indian companies" which had shut down following the months of unrest during the transition period following the overthrow of former ruler Muammar Gaddafi.
Both the Libyan president and prime minister have an India connection. President Mohammad Yousef Al-Magarief was the Libyan ambassador in New Delhi from 1978-81 and Prime Minister Ali Zeidan studied at the Jawaharlal Nehru University and also worked for a spell at the Libyan embassy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing