‘India looks forward to cooperating in new Libya`s
Tripoli: Visiting Indian Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed Monday said that India greatly appreciates the onset of democracy in Libya and looks forward to enhancing cooperation in areas that are vital for new Libya`s stability and growth.
Ahamed, who is visiting Libya from April 14-16 at the invitation of Libyan Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdulaziz, said India, being the largest democracy, greatly appreciates the onset of democracy in Libya and looks forward to further enrich it through cooperation in vital sectors that are essential for new Libya`s stability, reconstruction, development and institution and capacity building.
Ahamed`s visit is the first high level Indian visit to Libya after that of the then Indian external affairs minister in 2007.
Ahamed Monday called on Mohammad Yousef Al-Magarief, president of the General National Congress, and Prime Minister Ali Zeidan.
Both leaders welcomed the return of Indian companies and Indians to Libya to partake in the reconstruction and development of new Libya, said a statement.
Both sides expressed satisfaction at the excellent bilateral relations as well as cooperation in the field of health, education, IT, pharmaceuticals sectors.
President Al-Magarief thanked India`s offer of providing assistance and expertise in drafting of Libyan Constitution and expressed a desire to be benefited from India`s experience.
"They also assured of looking into the financial losses suffered by the Indian companies" which had shut down following the months of unrest during the transition period following the overthrow of former ruler Muammar Gaddafi.
Both the Libyan president and prime minister have an India connection. President Mohammad Yousef Al-Magarief was the Libyan ambassador in New Delhi from 1978-81 and Prime Minister Ali Zeidan studied at the Jawaharlal Nehru University and also worked for a spell at the Libyan embassy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam