India-origin man in Canada found guilty of drug trafficking
Toronto: An Indian-origin man in Canada has been found guilty of importing cocaine.
The Supreme Court of the Canadian province of British Columbia has ruled Navdeep Singh Dhillon guilty of importing 30 kg of cocaine into Canada in his tractor-trailer while returning from a trip to California in the US in 2009, local media reported.
Dhillon was stopped at a primary inspection booth on the Pacific Highway April 17, 2009, and questioned about the goods he was carrying in his tractor-trailer.
A Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer referred Dhillon for a secondary inspection.
Two officers aided by a detector dog then checked the tractor-trailer again and found 30 brick-like packages behind two access panels in the trailer’s refrigeration compartment.
The packages each weighed about one kg and contained cocaine and the total value of the drugs was approximately $1.5 million.
The defence lawyers argued that Dhillon was used as a "blind courier" but judge Murray Blok refused to buy it.
"I conclude that the use of a blind courier in this case would have been very unlikely given the high value of the drugs in question, the risks associated with using a blind courier and the considerable problems the traffickers would face in both secreting and retrieving the drugs, given Mr. Dhillon’s virtually continuous association with his truck and trailer," The Vancouver Province quoted Blok as writing in his decision.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed