India, Pak upset balance of N-deterrence: Hillary
Washington: The manner in which India and Pakistan have pursued atomic weapons has "upset the balance of nuclear deterrence", Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Friday said, asserting the US is working hard with both countries to try to limit their number of nuclear stockpiles.
"There are three pillars to the Non-Proliferation Treaty. One is disarmament, one is non-proliferation, and one is the peaceful use of nuclear weapons, the peaceful use of
nuclear energy for civil nuclear purposes," Hillary said in her speech on nuclear non-proliferation at the University of Louisville.
"So the United States will continue to demonstrate its willingness, in concert with Russia, because we have so many more weapons than any of the other countries -- you know, by a very, very big margin," she said in her speech on `No Greater Danger: Protecting our nation and allies from nuclear terrorism and nuclear proliferation`, in Kentucky.
"Other countries that have pursued nuclear weapons -- like India and Pakistan, for example -- have done so in a way that has upset the balance of nuclear deterrence," Hillary said.
"And that`s why we`re working with both countries very hard to try to make sure that their nuclear stockpiles are, you know, well tended to, and that they participate with us in
trying to limit the number of nuclear weapons. And both of them will be in Washington next week," she said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would represent India at the Nuclear Security Summit next week convened by US President Barack Obama, which is being attended by more than 40 world leaders including Pakistani Premier Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000