India retains Podesta group for lobbying in US
Washington: The Indian Embassy in the United States has retained the Podesta Group, a Washington-based lobbying and public affairs firm, which is said to be having close ties with the Obama Administration and the ruling Democratic Party, for its lobbying efforts in the country.
The Podesta Group, which is said to be among the top lobbying firms in the US, has been retained for the six monthly contract of USD 350,000 (more than Rs 1.8 crores), according to its latest mandatory disclosure made by it to the Department of Justice under the Foreign Agents Registration Act.
"(Podesta Group`s) PG`s representation will encompass providing strategic counsel, tactical planning and public relations assistance on policy matters before the US Government, the US Congress, and select state governments, as well as academic institutions and think-tanks," says the latest six-monthly contract signed on January 17, 2013.
It was signed by Kimberley Fritts, CEO of the Podest Group and Nirupama Rao, the Indian Ambassador to the US.
The Podesta Group has been lobbying for India since 2011, as per the publicly available reports.
The Podesta Group among others also lobbies on behalf of Albania, Cyprus, Georgia, Japan, Korea and Kosovo.
According to the list of its activities disclosed by it to the Justice Department under FARA, the Podesta Group in the previous six months period lobbied before the US lawmakers, their staffers mostly by emails.
It received about Rs 30 lakhs from the Indian Embassy for its services every month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'