India retains Podesta group for lobbying in US
Washington: The Indian Embassy in the United States has retained the Podesta Group, a Washington-based lobbying and public affairs firm, which is said to be having close ties with the Obama Administration and the ruling Democratic Party, for its lobbying efforts in the country.
The Podesta Group, which is said to be among the top lobbying firms in the US, has been retained for the six monthly contract of USD 350,000 (more than Rs 1.8 crores), according to its latest mandatory disclosure made by it to the Department of Justice under the Foreign Agents Registration Act.
"(Podesta Group`s) PG`s representation will encompass providing strategic counsel, tactical planning and public relations assistance on policy matters before the US Government, the US Congress, and select state governments, as well as academic institutions and think-tanks," says the latest six-monthly contract signed on January 17, 2013.
It was signed by Kimberley Fritts, CEO of the Podest Group and Nirupama Rao, the Indian Ambassador to the US.
The Podesta Group has been lobbying for India since 2011, as per the publicly available reports.
The Podesta Group among others also lobbies on behalf of Albania, Cyprus, Georgia, Japan, Korea and Kosovo.
According to the list of its activities disclosed by it to the Justice Department under FARA, the Podesta Group in the previous six months period lobbied before the US lawmakers, their staffers mostly by emails.
It received about Rs 30 lakhs from the Indian Embassy for its services every month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark