India, Russia against unilateral sanctions on Iran
Moscow: India and Russia on Friday warned
against unilateral sanctions on Iran, in an apparent reference
to actions taken by US and other Western nations, and
advocated the use of political and diplomatic means to resolve
the tensions arising out of Tehran`s nuclear programme.
In a joint statement issued after Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev held summit talks
here, the two countries voiced concern over the situation
emerging around Iran`s nuclear programme.
While recognising the inherent right of states to use
nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, India and Russia
stressed the need for all states to comply with their
respective obligations on non-proliferation.
The joint statement supported a comprehensive and
long-term settlement of the situation exclusively through
political and diplomatic means by promoting dialogue.
In this context, they also noted that unilateral
sanctions could be counter-productive, a veiled reference to
The two countries while recognising Iran`s right to
develop research, produce and use nuclear energy for peaceful
purposes in conformity with international obligations urged
that country to comply with the provisions of the relevant UN
Security Council Resolutions and extend full cooperation to
the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
Iran claims that its nuclear programme is for purely
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof