Indian-American mulling run for public office in California
Houston: Indian-American Neel Kashkari, a former US Treasury official who oversaw department`s troubled Asset Relief Program at the height of country`s financial crisis is considering a run for public office in California as a Republican.
Kashkari, 39, announced yesterday that he is stepping down from his job as management director for Pacific Investment Management Co (PIMCO), a Newport Beach investment firm.
The former Goldman Sachs banker expressed an interest in entering public service in California in multiple interviews published today and has launched a website touting his biography and leadership bona fides.
Kashkari, whose parents Chaman and Sheila Kashkari are Indian-Americans from Kashmir, said, "I`m not the typical California Republican. I`m the son of immigrants."
Kashkari told the Wall Street Journal. "I come from modest upbringing. I have a successful track record. I`m an optimist. And I think something can be done if people work together."
Kashkari was a key figure in implementing the USD 700 billion bank bailout effort, known as the Troubled Asset Relief Program, during President George W Bush`s second term.
He stayed at the department for the start of Barack Obama`s presidency before leaving to join Pimco in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani