Indian-American mulling run for public office in California
Houston: Indian-American Neel Kashkari, a former US Treasury official who oversaw department`s troubled Asset Relief Program at the height of country`s financial crisis is considering a run for public office in California as a Republican.
Kashkari, 39, announced yesterday that he is stepping down from his job as management director for Pacific Investment Management Co (PIMCO), a Newport Beach investment firm.
The former Goldman Sachs banker expressed an interest in entering public service in California in multiple interviews published today and has launched a website touting his biography and leadership bona fides.
Kashkari, whose parents Chaman and Sheila Kashkari are Indian-Americans from Kashmir, said, "I`m not the typical California Republican. I`m the son of immigrants."
Kashkari told the Wall Street Journal. "I come from modest upbringing. I have a successful track record. I`m an optimist. And I think something can be done if people work together."
Kashkari was a key figure in implementing the USD 700 billion bank bailout effort, known as the Troubled Asset Relief Program, during President George W Bush`s second term.
He stayed at the department for the start of Barack Obama`s presidency before leaving to join Pimco in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya
- Nandita Das is a capable director: Nawazuddin Siddiqui