Indian-American physiotherapist sentenced to 10 yrs in jail
New York: An Indian-American physiotherapist has been sentenced to 10 years in prison and ordered to pay over USD 10 million in restitution for his role in a multi- million dollar healthcare fraud and money laundering scheme.
Chiradeep Gupta, 39, of Michigan was sentenced by US District Judge Denise Page Hood in the Eastern District of Michigan.
In addition to the 120 months prison term, Gupta was sentenced to serve three years of supervised release and was ordered to pay more than USD 10 million in restitution, jointly and severally with his co-defendants, Acting Assistant Attorney General Mythili Raman of the Justice Department`s Criminal Division said in a statement yesterday.
Gupta, a physiotherapist and part-owner of a home healthcare company, was found guilty at trial in October 2012 of one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud, one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering, and three substantive counts of money laundering.
The fraud scheme totaled almost USD 11 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM