Indian-American physiotherapist sentenced to 10 yrs in jail
New York: An Indian-American physiotherapist has been sentenced to 10 years in prison and ordered to pay over USD 10 million in restitution for his role in a multi- million dollar healthcare fraud and money laundering scheme.
Chiradeep Gupta, 39, of Michigan was sentenced by US District Judge Denise Page Hood in the Eastern District of Michigan.
In addition to the 120 months prison term, Gupta was sentenced to serve three years of supervised release and was ordered to pay more than USD 10 million in restitution, jointly and severally with his co-defendants, Acting Assistant Attorney General Mythili Raman of the Justice Department`s Criminal Division said in a statement yesterday.
Gupta, a physiotherapist and part-owner of a home healthcare company, was found guilty at trial in October 2012 of one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud, one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering, and three substantive counts of money laundering.
The fraud scheme totaled almost USD 11 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened