Indian-Americans celebrate Holi with fervour
Houston: Indian diaspora`s deep-rooted
bonding with its rich cultural heritage was uniquely displayed
once again when hundreds of Indian-Americans in and around
Houston joining their follow countrymen to celebrate the
colourful festival of Holi.
Taking a break from their humdrum life for one afternoon,
people gathered on Saturday to cherish the colourful moments
of the festival with an intention to bring about a feeling of
brotherhood and harmony.
Day-long celebrations were held in Rosenberg in Fortbend
County and in Alden Bridge Park in The Woodlands, here to mark
the "Festival of Colours", that commemorates the arrival of
Spring and the end of winter hardships.
Soaked in a variety of colours, ecstatic crowd came out
with uniques ways of celebrating the festival, ranging from
foot-tapping dances to the tunes of famous Bollywood numbers
and feasting on traditional Indian delicacies apart from
lighting bonfires and wishing a "Happy Holi" to each other.
An obvious frenzy was seen among the teenagers, excited
and thrilled to play colours and joined equally by the amazed,
yet enthusiast group of Americans.
Some adult Indian-Americans were also seen explaining the
significance of the festival to the younger ones on this
"When you come to a Holi festival, you have to be
colourful and happy and have fun," an adult said with a smile.
"It brings out in the kid in you, you want to be in
the outdoors and have all the colours and everything," said a
young mother of two small kids, adding that the day takes her
back to home in India with a sense of nostalgia.
Elaborate arrangements were made by the administration as
separate areas were allotted for playing colours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees