Indian arrested in US on hate crime charges
New York: A 28-year-old Indian-origin man has been arrested in the US on hate crime charges after he allegedly assaulted a Jewish man as part of so-called "knock-out attacks."
Amrit Marajh of Brooklyn is charged with aggravated harassment as a hate crime, assault as a hate crime and misdemeanour assault, the New York Police Department said.
The arrest came amid investigations by law enforcement officials into increasing incidents of random "knock-out attacks" where young assailants try to knock out unsuspecting victims with a punch.
Police say Marajh assaulted a 24-year-old Jewish man wearing a yarmulke on Friday in Brooklyn after he was talking about the knockout games with three other men.
A report in the New York Daily News said Marajh voiced an anti-Semitic statement before attacking his victim.
All four men were taken into police custody shortly after the early morning attack but only Marajh is believed to have participated in the assault.
Marajh was in court yesterday for his arraignment hearing on misdemeanour assault and harassment charges and has been released on USD 750 bail.
Marajh had left a local bar here with four friends and was talking about boxing when the "knockout" game came up, police said.
He allegedly boasted that he could knock out his victim after one of his friends challenged him.
Marajh allegedly said, "Yes I can. I`ll do it to this guy right now!" He punched the young Jewish man and hurled an anti-Semitic slur.
The growing incidents of `knock-out` assaults have raised concerns across the country after a spate of such attacks in New York, New Haven, Washington, and Philadelphia.
In New Haven, police spokesman David Hartman said police are investigating six incidents in the last month as part of the knockout trend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre