Indian cardinal is youngest in Vatican conclave
Vatican City: Indian cardinal Cleemis Thottunkal is the youngest cardinal taking part in the conclave to elect a successor to Pope Benedict XVI.
Also known as Moran Mor Baselios Cardinal Cleemis Catholicos, the 53-year-old Thottunkal is the archbishop of Thiruvananthapuram, capital of Kerala state in southern India. He was one of the last cardinals appointed by Benedict in November 2012.
Thottunkal is the first cardinal of the Syro-Malankar rite, a West Syrian Rite Eastern Catholic Church in full communion with the Holy See, which has a total membership of around 500,000.
Benedict, who abdicated at the end of February, also appointed Thottunkal a member of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches and the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue.
Cardinal Walter Kasper, who turned 80 after Benedict abdicated, is the conclave`s oldest cardinal elector. The electors` average age is 72.
Since 1975, cardinals over 80 have been excluded from voting in papal conclaves.
Italy`s cardinal Angelo Scola, the archbishop of Milan, enters as the favourite to be elected pope.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times