Indian doctor face multiple rape charges in Australia
Melbourne: A 39-year-old Indian-origin doctor facing charges of raping two women during consultations, may face charges of sexually assaulting a third patient, even as he pleaded not guilty at Australia`s Supreme Court on Monday.
Manu Maimbilly Gopal, was arrested at Melbourne International Airport waiting to fly to Kochi on February 29 after contacted by police about the sexual assault claims.
Gopal, who has been fired from his job, told police that the complaint of the two women, aged 18 and 39, was "a conspiracy" against him.
Gopal has been accused to have digitally penetrated two women after telling them they needed internal vaginal examinations when they complained of abdominal pain during separate visits to a Sunbury medical clinic in February last year.
Detective Senior Constable Emma Tobin of the Fawkner Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team said that Gopal would be charged in relation to a similar complaint by a second 18-year-old woman.
The victim told police that she was assaulted in January but did not want to report it because she was unsure if it was unlawful.
Gopal has already been charged with two counts of rape and two counts of indecent assault.
Gopal was bailed from the Melbourne Magistrates Court today after a magistrate found the prosecution`s fears that he would flee Australia for his native India could be ameliorated by imposing strict bail conditions, The Age reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS