Indian fisherman died of illness: Pakistan official
Islamabad: Pakistan foreign office spokesperson Tasnim Aslam Thursday said an Indian prisoner, found dead in a Pakistani jail Tuesday, had been ill for quite some time.
Aslam said in a weekly press briefing that efforts were being made to repatriate the body of the Indian fisherman who died in Landhi jail, Karachi, reported the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP).
On Tuesday, Pakistani media reported that an Indian fisherman, named Kishore Bhagwan, was found dead in the jail. The cause of his death was not known immediately and his body was shifted to a hospital for postmortem.
India had asked its mission in Islamabad to find out the details about his death in a Karachi jail.
The Pakistan Maritime Security Agency had arrested the man along with other fishermen and sent him to the Landhi jail for allegedly entering Pakistan`s territorial zone without legal documents, according to media reports.
In February 2013, he managed to escape from the jail when he was taken outside by the jail authorities to work as labour.
He was later re-arrested in December after a 10-month search in Karachi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas