Indian freedom fighter gets House of Commons award
London: An Indian freedom fighter was posthumously conferred a `Lifetime Achievement Award` at UK`s House of Commons for his contribution during India`s independence movement and its journey afterwards.
Britain`s Minister for Business Engagement with India Gregory Barker and Virendra Sharma, Chair of the Indo-British All Party Parliamentary Group jointly presented the award to late Jawaharlal Darda`s son, Vijay Jawaharlal Darda, MP and Chairman and Editor-in-Chief of Lokmat, the most widely circulated Marathi language newspaper.
Also present on the occasion were Praful Patel, Minister for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, Rajeev Shukla, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Planning and Kerry McCarthy, Shadow foreign Minister with responsibility for India and several leading NRIs.
At the function yesterday, Vijay recalled that when India was all fired up by the "clarion call of Mahatma Gandhi, my father plunged into the freedom movement at the tender age of 17 after meeting the Father of the Nation."
In his address, Barker referred to the growing Indo-British relations and said "the relation between the two countries has never been so strong and dynamic."
He said India would continue to rise and it would be world`s Number three economy by 2030.
"We have absolute confidence in India`s long-term prospect," he noted.
Concurring with him, Praful Patel said the economics would drive relations between the two countries.
Apart from the Bengaluru-Mumbai Corridor development, "We have many more areas of cooperation," he said.
Observing that Indian students go to USA on a large scale, Patel said "I feel no reason why more and more Indian students should not come here for higher studies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre