Indian freedom fighter gets House of Commons award
London: An Indian freedom fighter was posthumously conferred a `Lifetime Achievement Award` at UK`s House of Commons for his contribution during India`s independence movement and its journey afterwards.
Britain`s Minister for Business Engagement with India Gregory Barker and Virendra Sharma, Chair of the Indo-British All Party Parliamentary Group jointly presented the award to late Jawaharlal Darda`s son, Vijay Jawaharlal Darda, MP and Chairman and Editor-in-Chief of Lokmat, the most widely circulated Marathi language newspaper.
Also present on the occasion were Praful Patel, Minister for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, Rajeev Shukla, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Planning and Kerry McCarthy, Shadow foreign Minister with responsibility for India and several leading NRIs.
At the function yesterday, Vijay recalled that when India was all fired up by the "clarion call of Mahatma Gandhi, my father plunged into the freedom movement at the tender age of 17 after meeting the Father of the Nation."
In his address, Barker referred to the growing Indo-British relations and said "the relation between the two countries has never been so strong and dynamic."
He said India would continue to rise and it would be world`s Number three economy by 2030.
"We have absolute confidence in India`s long-term prospect," he noted.
Concurring with him, Praful Patel said the economics would drive relations between the two countries.
Apart from the Bengaluru-Mumbai Corridor development, "We have many more areas of cooperation," he said.
Observing that Indian students go to USA on a large scale, Patel said "I feel no reason why more and more Indian students should not come here for higher studies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly