Indian gang leader in UK jailed for 12 years for trafficking
London: A 35-year-old Indian-origin man who headed a gang that trafficked more than 100 women to Britain has been jailed for 12 years while four of his accomplices, including his brother, were also handed down prison terms.
In all, four men and a woman have been jailed for conspiring to traffic women into the UK for sexual exploitation.
The gang trafficked more than 100 women into the UK, some of whom were forced into prostitution and raped, the BBC reported.
Vishal Chaudhary described as "the boss" was sentenced to 12 years while his brother Kunal Chaudhary, 32, got five years in prison.
Szilvia Abel, 24, was sentenced to three years at Croydon Crown Court, and her brother Krisztian Abel, 33, handed down 10 years in prison. Another man Attila Kovacs, 33, was given six years.
Vishal and Kunal Chaudhary, along with the three other accomplices, were arrested in early 2013, the report said.
During sentencing Judge Gower said of the gang: "Over a period of six years it exploited hundreds of women and was a sophisticated business. Over the years (it) must have generated hundreds of thousands of pounds."
The court heard that Vishal, of Peninsula Square, Canary Wharf, was the "leading figure in these conspiracies, the boss" and funded a luxury lifestyle from the crime.
The court heard the women were recruited from Hungary with offers of cleaning and nannying jobs in London.
Instead they worked in one of the 40 brothels operated by the gang across the city from a base in Brent Cross.
The gang managed their victims from a makeshift call centre in a semi-detached house on a suburban street in Hendon, north London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 13,680 crore made under IDS by Mahesh Shah