Indian herbal remedies, cow urine seized in UK
London: In a major haul, Britain`s border officials have seized 45 large boxes containing ground tiger claws, herbal remedies, massage oils and cow urine that had been illegally imported from India, official sources here said.
The boxes were destined for an address in Birmingham before being stopped by officials at Felixstowe Port in Suffolk.
The material is in demand in the Asian community in the west Midlands and other areas with large minorities of Asian origin.
UK Border Force said that it was the first time that ground tiger claws, which may have come from tigers that were illegally poached, had been found by Customs in the UK.
The boxes also had cow urine, poisonous plants, and goat meat.
Officials examining the load also found several large cockroaches that had fermented in the boxes.
The import and export of tiger derivatives is strictly controlled under the Convention in International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and items can only be brought into or sent out of the EU if the correct permits have been applied for and issued, Border Force said.
Details of the seizure have been referred to customs authorities in India, which will decide whether to take further action against the exporter.
The importer in Birmingham has also been contacted and issued with a warning following the find, Border Force said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest