Indian in bizarre bedroom drama, molests girl
London: An Indian student of engineering who climbed into a bed where a young woman was sleeping next to her boyfriend and indecently assaulted her, has been jailed in Britain for three years.
Pradeep Baskaran, 23, who completed MS in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and Management from the Loughborough University, woke the woman when he climbed into her bed and was then chased out of her house on the night of December 5 last year.
Baskaran, who dropped his passport in the house while being chased away, is likely to be deported to India after completing the jail term. He was found guilty earlier this week of sexual assault, but cleared of attempted rape. The unusual nature of the case was highlighted during his sentencing in the Crown Court on Thursday, according to reports from Leicester.
Judge Ebraham Mooncey said: "This case has very unusual features. It`s difficult to envisage what you hoped would happen, and difficult to see what you had in mind."
"I don`t know if you thought the victim and her boyfriend would have been so drunk they wouldn`t know what was happening. There was skin-to-skin contact and you were pushing against her, and that`s what woke her up.
"It`s fortunate she woke up at that point and chased you out. You had walked into someone`s home and went upstairs and found the room in which this woman was sleeping and proceeded to do what you did."
"No-one`s suggesting you had broken in (the door was unlocked), but you weren`t invited there and had no business being in the house. Your account that you wanted some water, because you were dehydrated (while walking home the worse for drink) was fanciful, bizarre and certainly untrue. The jury rejected your account. What you did was outrageous."
A piece of chewing gum with Baskaran`s DNA was found beside the alleged victim`s bed. A pair of the woman`s knickers allegedly taken from her bedroom as he fled were recovered from Baskaran`s home. Another pair were found in an alley near the house by her boyfriend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video