Indian justice system has spoken: US on gangrape verdict
Washington: The US has welcomed the verdict of an Indian court awarding death sentence to the four convicts in the December 16 gangrape-cum-murder case of a 23-year-old student, late last year, which had sparked an outrage across the country and abroad.
"We are heartened to see that the Indian justice system has spoken and the perpetrators of these heinous attacks have been convicted and sentenced in a court of law," State Department spokesperson Marie Harf, told reporters.
"Like so many people in India and around the world, we were saddened by this horrific act of violence, yet moved by civil society`s response at the same time," she said.
Secretary of State John Kerry had spoken over the issue this spring, and cited the woman`s bravery and her fight for justice, she added.
"In India, as in all countries around the world, gender-based violence continues to be a challenge that we are focussed on countering, on working with people to counter all across the world," Harf said.
The death sentence awarded yesterday by a Delhi court, in the sensational gangrape-cum-murder case, said the "beastly" and "hair-raising" manner in which the crime was committed against the 23-year-old girl, fell in the rarest of rare category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video