Indian national arrested for attack on Malaysian politician
Kuala Lumpur: An Indian and two Sri Lankan nationals have been arrested for allegedly assaulting a Malaysian politician in Bidor town in Perak state ahead of the May 5 polls in the country.
According to a police spokesperson in Perak, the 32-year old politician`s car was blocked by two cars while he was driving to Bidor town yesterday. When he stepped out to question why he was being stopped, he was punched by the assailants.
"He got into his car and drove to the Tapah police station to lodge a report," the spokesperson said.
Police later arrested the six men, including the Indian and two Sri Lankan nationals. The suspects were not identified.
A newspaper report had said that the attacked politician is not a contestant in the General Elections.
In another incident, Malaysian Indian United Party (MUIP) president S Nallakaruppan lodged a police complaint yesterday after receiving a threatening SMS.
He said that he received the text message after he refused to answer two anonymous phone calls.
"I believe the reason was a result of wide coverage of me shaking hands with former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad two days ago" he said.
"The message read that they intended to shoot me, so I decided to take action for the safety of myself and my family," Nallakaruppan added.
He thinks the threats were from those who are against the ruling coalition of Barisan Nasional (BN).
"From the threats I received, they also questioned the reason why I decided to join BN," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan