Indian-origin British doctor dies in Syria bombing on hospital
London: A 26-year-old Indian-origin doctor has been killed in strife-torn Syria as he treated wounded civilians at a makeshift hospital, the British media reported on Tuesday.
Dr Isa Abdur Rahman, a graduate from Imperial College London, died shortly after the attack on May 23 in the city of Idlib.
Rahman, who put his promising medical career on hold, went to Syria almost a year ago, so that he could use his medical expertise to help civilians caught up in bitter fighting between forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and rebels seeking to oust his regime.
Chairman of UK-based charity Hand in Hand for Syria, Faddy Sahloul said Rahman was "one of the bravest and most dedicated people I have met".
"I was very close to Dr Isa, a shy young man whom I first met two years ago. We spent a significant amount of time working together in Turkey and Syria.
"Everyone who knew him is shocked and saddened to hear the tragic news of his death, but we can draw comfort from the fact that he died doing work that he loved.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family at this difficult time."
Two other civilians are reported to have died and two others wounded in the attack, the BBC reported.
Rahman`s body was buried last week in the village of Atmeh, close to the border with Turkey, where he first began working after arriving in Syria.
Meanwhile, A JustGiving donation page set up by Hand in Hand for Syria following his death has raised over 25,000 pounds so far.
The charity plans to use the money to set up a field hospital named after Dr Abdur Rahman in the Syrian city of Homs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest