Indian origin engineer arrested for stealing trade secrets
Washington: An engineer of Indian origin has been arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for allegedly stealing trade secrets from his former employers.
Ketankumar Maniar (36), a resident of Mahwah township in New Jersey allegedly stole trade secrets of products being developed by a global medical technology company named Becton, Dickinson and Co. (BD).
The Department of Justice in a statement said that Maniar was arrested from a hotel in Ramsey in New Jersey before his apparent plan to relocate to India with the stolen documents.
According to the indictment, Maniar was a staff engineer at BD`s Franklin Lakes headquarters, where he was a member of a group responsible for manufacturing prefillable syringes and pen injectors.
Maniar had access to trade secret information related to BD products, including a self-administered disposable pen injector still under development by BD and not yet released for commercial sale, it said.
"Maniar allegedly downloaded approximately 8,000 files containing, highly valuable BD trade secret information related to the pen in development onto multiple computer storage devices, including external hard drives and thumb drives" said the FBI.
They added that most of Maniar`s download activity occurred during the weeks leading up to his resignation in May this year.
The investigators also alleged that Maniar downloaded BD files from home after he had called in sick to work, and forwarded numerous files containing BD confidential information to one of his personal email accounts.
"The materials Maniar downloaded essentially comprise a tool kit for mass producing the pen injector," said the FBI.
FBI agents executed court-issued search warrants of Maniar`s hotel room and seized computers and computer storage devices.
He was produced before a federal court in Newark on Wednesday and would be put behind bars till next week until his bail hearing.
If proven guilty the maximum potential penalty for theft of trade secrets is 10 years in prison and a USD 250,000 fine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm