Indian-origin lawyer `buys` ex-Miss Malaysia for $200!
Kuala Lumpur: No slave trade this! Former Miss Malaysia World Nadia Heng was "sold" for 600 Malaysian ringgits (USD 200) to an Indian-origin lawyer in an "auction" for a good cause.
Heng was among five local personalities who were "sold" to the highest bidder to raise funds for the upgrading of UndiMsia!`s resource centre.
The "buyers" went out on a date with the personalities, the `Star Online` reported.
Heng said she was game for anything be it a candlelight dinner or a meal at a mamak`s stall (food establishment).
"I don`t mind being `sold` off like that as it is for a good cause," she said.
Thirty-seven-year-old, Dipendra Rai, a lawyer, put in the winning bid of RM600 for Heng, saying he wanted to surprise her.
IT manager Adam Loo, 38, paid the highest price of RM1,200 (USD 400) and won a "date" with lawyer Edmund Bon.
Loo, Bon`s close friend, said their "date" would be their usual hangout at a mamak`s stall and he would buy Bon roti canai and teh tarik.
"I am flattered to have got the highest bid but more importantly, I am thankful so many people have contributed for a good cause," said Bon.
Other personalities at the auction were FHM Girl Next Door 2010 contest winner Yvonne Sim, documentary producer Seira Sacha, and actor Tony Eusoff, who were "sold" for RM820, RM800 and RM320 respectively.
UndiMsia! is an initiative targeted at youths to build communities and empower citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi