Indian-origin man arrested in Canada in murder case
Toronto: An Indian-origin man has been arrested in Canada in connection with the 2012 murder of another Indian-origin man.
Dinesh Suntharalingam, 23, was arrested from his home at Markham in the Greater Toronto Area of the Canadian province of Ontario in connection with the killing of Sathiyaraj Mahindran, media reported Friday.
The body of 21-year-old Mahindran was found at the edge of river Welland in King`s Bridge in the Niagara area April 21, 2012. He was reported missing the same day.
Police charged Suntharalingam with second-degree murder.
“The investigation into Mahendran`s death is still ongoing and further arrests are anticipated,” the Toronto Star quoted police as saying in a statement.
Though no cause of death was given at the time the body was recovered, police confirmed it as a homicide in August 2012.
Niagarathisweek.com quoted Niagara Regional Police media officer Derek Watson as saying that both Mahindran and Suntharalingam knew each other and lived close to each other.
“The investigation has been ongoing for 13 months,” Watson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan
- Laver Cup: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal to play doubles together
- Scorpene submarine data leak: French ex-naval officer's hand suspected; 'serious matter', says Opposition
- No U-turn by Rahul Gandhi on RSS role: Digivjay Singh