Indian-origin man in Australia injured in horrific accident
Melbourne: A 27-year-old Indian-origin man has been injured severely in a horrific hit-and-run incident in Melbourne after the alleged attacker tried to kill him three times.
Amandeep Singh was hit by a car when he was taking a walk on Chandler Road, Noble Park, here yesterday, local media reported.
After being hit the first time the car came back and hit him two more times and dragged him up to 50 metres before being left for dead.
Australian man Shannon Marchant, 21, who was on the wheel of the Holden Commodore, today appeared briefly in the Melbourne Magistrates` Court.
Police allege he ran over Singh in the stolen Commodore before fleeing the scene. Marchant has been charged with attempted murder and 12 other offences, including dangerous driving, intentionally causing injury and theft.
Singh told his friends he was left for dead after being hit by a car numerous times while walking on the footpath.
His friends said that he was still in shock and was trying to make sense of what had happened while being treated in Alfred Hospital with serious injuries.
"He is shocked. He is very, very shocked. He was just walking on the road, and someone hit him," the Herald Sun quoted a friend, Baljit Singh Sandhu, as saying.
"He was not aware... He had no clue there was someone coming behind him." He said he was dragged up to 50m before being left for dead.
"He was in a very, very bad condition... He is in a serious condition," Sandhu said. He said Singh had suffered serious injuries including broken shoulders and a broken leg.
Prosecutor Luke Excell told the court that although CCTV footage of the incident was not available, footage of events leading up to the alleged attack could be relied on by prosecutors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark