Indian-origin man in Australia injured in horrific accident
Melbourne: A 27-year-old Indian-origin man has been injured severely in a horrific hit-and-run incident in Melbourne after the alleged attacker tried to kill him three times.
Amandeep Singh was hit by a car when he was taking a walk on Chandler Road, Noble Park, here yesterday, local media reported.
After being hit the first time the car came back and hit him two more times and dragged him up to 50 metres before being left for dead.
Australian man Shannon Marchant, 21, who was on the wheel of the Holden Commodore, today appeared briefly in the Melbourne Magistrates` Court.
Police allege he ran over Singh in the stolen Commodore before fleeing the scene. Marchant has been charged with attempted murder and 12 other offences, including dangerous driving, intentionally causing injury and theft.
Singh told his friends he was left for dead after being hit by a car numerous times while walking on the footpath.
His friends said that he was still in shock and was trying to make sense of what had happened while being treated in Alfred Hospital with serious injuries.
"He is shocked. He is very, very shocked. He was just walking on the road, and someone hit him," the Herald Sun quoted a friend, Baljit Singh Sandhu, as saying.
"He was not aware... He had no clue there was someone coming behind him." He said he was dragged up to 50m before being left for dead.
"He was in a very, very bad condition... He is in a serious condition," Sandhu said. He said Singh had suffered serious injuries including broken shoulders and a broken leg.
Prosecutor Luke Excell told the court that although CCTV footage of the incident was not available, footage of events leading up to the alleged attack could be relied on by prosecutors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'