Indian-origin MLA in Canada accused of perjury
Toronto: A criminal investigation has been sought against an Indian-origin MLA of Canada`s Alberta Province on charges of ethics violation and perjury.
Leader of the opposition Wildrose party, Danielle Smith, has requested the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to conduct a criminal investigation into the actions of Edmonton-Manning MLA Peter Sandhu following reports that he owned a home-building company that was being pursued by creditors for not paying debts.
According to Smith, Sandhu - a member of the ruling Progressive Conservatives party, should be charged with perjury as he had lied in court by saying that he was out of Canada when, in fact, he was present in Calgary, CBC reported on Friday.
"With the significant discrepancies between evidence in the courts and the legislative assembly Office, we believe it is of utmost importance to ensure that this matter is investigated thoroughly - to not only maintain the integrity of our legislative process, but to ensure the confidence of Albertans," Smith said in a statement.
In her letter to the RCMP, Smith cites Section 131 of the Criminal Code, which states that making a false statement under oath, as Sandhu is accused of doing, is in fact perjury.
Sandhu, who resigned from the Conservative caucus following the allegations earlier this week, is also being investigated by Alberta`s ethic commissioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city