Indian-origin nurse loses registration in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin male nurse lost his registration and was banned from practising in Australia for at least a year after he was found guilty of professional misconduct for feeding dishwashing liquid to an elderly patient apparently due to his poor English skills.
Bhavesh Shah was pracitising as a nurse at the Sydney Adventist Hospital at Wahroonga in May 2009 when he treated a 79-year-old patient who had come in for a hip replacement.
Shah reportedly gave the patient some green liquid from a bottle the man had brought in that was marked as containing heart pills.
Inquiries by hospital officials revealed the bottle`s true contents were a `Morning Fresh detergent` which the patient was using to clean his dentures.
According to `The Daily Telegraph`, Shah`s registration wass cancelled by the state`s Nursing and Midwifery Tribunal last week and he was also banned from practising for at least a year.
Shah admitted the complaint and the tribunal found him guilty of professional misconduct and unsatisfactory professional conduct.
The tribunal said the nurse could have been confused about what was in the bottle because of his poor English skills.
Shah was sacked after the incident and the tribunal ordered him to complete a test to prove his English skills - but he failed in six attempts.
The tribunal said his behaviour was incompetent and either because of his poor English or "reckless indifference" he did not read the label on the bottle, which clearly referred to "capsules".
"When he became aware of his error he failed to act (showing) complete disregard for (the patient`s) care and safety," the tribunal said.
Shah will have to appear before the tribunal again before his registration is reinstated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you