Indian-origin nurse loses registration in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin male nurse lost his registration and was banned from practising in Australia for at least a year after he was found guilty of professional misconduct for feeding dishwashing liquid to an elderly patient apparently due to his poor English skills.
Bhavesh Shah was pracitising as a nurse at the Sydney Adventist Hospital at Wahroonga in May 2009 when he treated a 79-year-old patient who had come in for a hip replacement.
Shah reportedly gave the patient some green liquid from a bottle the man had brought in that was marked as containing heart pills.
Inquiries by hospital officials revealed the bottle`s true contents were a `Morning Fresh detergent` which the patient was using to clean his dentures.
According to `The Daily Telegraph`, Shah`s registration wass cancelled by the state`s Nursing and Midwifery Tribunal last week and he was also banned from practising for at least a year.
Shah admitted the complaint and the tribunal found him guilty of professional misconduct and unsatisfactory professional conduct.
The tribunal said the nurse could have been confused about what was in the bottle because of his poor English skills.
Shah was sacked after the incident and the tribunal ordered him to complete a test to prove his English skills - but he failed in six attempts.
The tribunal said his behaviour was incompetent and either because of his poor English or "reckless indifference" he did not read the label on the bottle, which clearly referred to "capsules".
"When he became aware of his error he failed to act (showing) complete disregard for (the patient`s) care and safety," the tribunal said.
Shah will have to appear before the tribunal again before his registration is reinstated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...