Indian-origin Stanford professor succumbs to leukaemia
Mumbai: Fervently awaiting a bone-marrow donor, Nalini Ambady, an Indian origin professor at Stanford University succumbed to leukaemia early Tuesday in Boston, the US, a family friend said here Wednesday.
"For nearly a year, she was in and out of hospitals. The last stint being in a Boston hospital where she was supposed to get a donor. However, the donor backed off at the last minute," family friend Dilip D`Souza told IANS here.
The family had found 13 matching donors after a thorough online search, but at least half of them backed off at the last minute, while the others were rejected due to partial compatibility, D`Souza said.
"When I had gone to Boston last month, I spent around a week with the family. However, it appeared clear that she was sliding and even the doctors seemed to have given up hopes," he added.
Her condition particularly deteriorated over the past 4-5 weeks and even her organs started collapsing.
The sad news was conveyed to D`Souza by Nalini`s husband, Raj Marphatia, and other relatives early Tuesday in Mumbai and in her native state, Kerala.
An award-winning professor and the first Indian to teach in Stanford`s Psychology Department, Ambady remained in and out of various hospitals as her condition deteriorated. She was detected with the disease in 2004, but was cured and it recurred last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31