Indian-origin student jailed for cheating retailers in Singapore
Singapore: An Indian-origin student has been sentenced to 22 months in jail by a Singapore court for cheating retailers of over SGD 135,000 worth of electronic goods while posing as an army captain.
Suraj Kumar Sarabajeet, 22, posed as an army captain and ordered 11 Apple MacBook Pro Laptops from Sapura Synergy on behalf of Singapore`s Armour Headquarters in January last year.
He gave a fictional address in the email to Sapura and hired a courier company to collect the goods worth SGD 28,844.
But he sold these laptops for SGD 23,150 later that day.
Six days later, Suraj used the same ruse and ordered eight Apple MacBook Air laptops worth SGD 15,230 from Multimedia Integrated.
He collected the goods using the courier company and sold the computers for SGD 10,500, reported The Straits Times.
In March 2012, he posed as a Federal Express executive and ordered 27 iPads, iPhones and laptops worth SGD 41,111 from retail Epicentre which he later sold for SGD 32,170.
Suraj duped his victims with SGD 135,772 worth of goods over a three-month period, all while he was undergoing two years probation for the similar offences.
The District Court on Friday convicted Suraj on 10 charges of cheating and forgery.
Suraj, who was pursuing a diploma in law and management, has been held in custody since April 11 last year.
On Monday he would be sentenced for six other offences of cheating and forgery, for which he was originally placed on probation in 2011.
"The accused ran multiple independent devised schemes, sometimes running the same con on the same victim more than once," said the prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok