Indian origin surgeon to stand trial in Australia
Sydney: An Indian origin former surgeon in an Australian hospital will stand trial in September for causing grievous bodily harm to a patient.
Jayant Patel, who worked in the Bundaberg Base Hospital in the Australian state of Queensland, has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm during a colon surgery of a 65-year-old patient, Ian Rodney Vowels, in 2004.
Patel was then the director of surgery at the hospital.
Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller asked the Brisbane Supreme Court Friday that the trial should be listed in August or September this year with a time-frame of three weeks, the Courier Mail reported.
But Ken Fleming, appearing for Patel, contended that several matters would need to be resolved before the trial started and said Patel would seek to poll a prospective jury panel.
Justice Glenn Martin, who was hearing the case, proposed that the trial be listed in the week commencing Sep 23 before Justice Jean Dalton, adding that it should be listed for 10-15 days.
Patel, who was born in Jamnagar in Gujarat, had a controversial tenure at the hospital from 2003 to early 2005, during which over 80 deaths were linked to him and 30 patients died in his care.
After that he left for Portland, Oregon, in the US.
He was, however, extradited to Australia in 2008 to face trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow