Indian origin surgeon to stand trial in Australia
Sydney: An Indian origin former surgeon in an Australian hospital will stand trial in September for causing grievous bodily harm to a patient.
Jayant Patel, who worked in the Bundaberg Base Hospital in the Australian state of Queensland, has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm during a colon surgery of a 65-year-old patient, Ian Rodney Vowels, in 2004.
Patel was then the director of surgery at the hospital.
Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller asked the Brisbane Supreme Court Friday that the trial should be listed in August or September this year with a time-frame of three weeks, the Courier Mail reported.
But Ken Fleming, appearing for Patel, contended that several matters would need to be resolved before the trial started and said Patel would seek to poll a prospective jury panel.
Justice Glenn Martin, who was hearing the case, proposed that the trial be listed in the week commencing Sep 23 before Justice Jean Dalton, adding that it should be listed for 10-15 days.
Patel, who was born in Jamnagar in Gujarat, had a controversial tenure at the hospital from 2003 to early 2005, during which over 80 deaths were linked to him and 30 patients died in his care.
After that he left for Portland, Oregon, in the US.
He was, however, extradited to Australia in 2008 to face trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH