Indian-origin teacher sentenced for sex with minor
Singapore: A 25-year-old Indian-origin teacher in Singapore has been sentenced to one year in jail for having sex with an underage girl student.
Aravind S Menon had earlier pleaded guilty to three counts of consensual sexual intercourse with the 14-year-old girl between May and July 2009, reported the Channel News Asia.
Menon became close to the minor when he was her teacher and they started a relationship.
But when the girl wanted to break up with Aravind, he threatened to post their sex videos online, which he recorded and kept in his laptop.
Aravind also threatened to commit suicide by jumping off the highest floor of a public housing apartment block.
In sentencing, district judge Siva Shanmugam said the girl was at a vulnerable age, and Aravind had abused the trust in him as a teacher.
The Judge noted that Aravind warranted a heavy sentence as he had captured their sex acts on video.
But the Judge also took into consideration that this was Aravind`s first brush with the law and that the accused was remorseful.
The prosecution had proceeded on one of the three charges against Aravind.
- Russian GP: Nico Rosberg wins seventh race in succession as Lewis Hamilton recovers to second spot
- No need for cash; pay through mobile phone at Café Coffee Day now
- VVIP chopper scam: RSS mouthpiece dares Congress to reveal who's 'Signora Gandhi' mentioned in Italian court
- EPL: Anthony Martial strikes as Manchester United make Leicester City wait for title
- PM Modi visits Varanasi, launches 'e-boats' at Assi Ghat: In Pics