Indian-origin Tory politician slammed for racist slur on Muslims
London: Britain’s first female Asian peer has been slammed for claiming all Muslims are on benefits and vote Labour.
Indian-origin crossbencher Baroness Flather made the comments while defending PM David Cameron’s new Aussie campaign chief Lynton Crosby “who had allegedly said that chasing Muslim votes was a waste of Tory time”.
Crosby is also said to have used the phrase ‘f***ing Muslims’ while on London Mayor Boris Johnson’s staff, the Sun reports.
“I don’t condone swearing, but Lynton is right. They are all on benefits and all vote Labour,” Flather, who has Indian roots, said.
According to the report, Labour Party vice- chair Michael Dugher condemned Flather for her comments and said that they were unacceptable.
“These comments are unacceptable. There can be no place in politics for such offensive and ignorant attitudes,” Labour Party vice-chair Michael Dugher said.
According to the report, Flather later admitted she went too far, but added that her point was valid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'