Indian-origin vegetarian served chicken in UK
London: An Indian-origin woman who has been a lifelong vegetarian is distraught after mistakenly being served chicken by a UK restaurant.
Roshni Barot, a resident of Tividale in the West Midlands region, ordered a grilled halloumi cheese pitta at the local outlet of the Nando`s chain of restaurants and had eaten most of her meal when she realised to her horror that it contained chicken.
"I was in shock and started crying in the restaurant. I cried all night and couldn`t sleep,? she told Birmingham Mail.
The 28-year-old, who works as a placements officer at the University of Birmingham, was raised in a strict Hindu home in the UK where no one ate meat.
She even tried unsuccessfully to make herself sick when she got home to get rid of the meal from her body.
"I can feel it sitting there in my stomach. I feel like it`s not my body anymore. They took away my choice about what to put in my body and now I can`t ever say that I have never eaten meat," she said.
"I have devoted myself to this for 28 years and someone has taken this away from me."
The manager of the restaurant apologised and offered her vouchers for another meal, which she refused.
A Nando`s spokesperson said: "We deeply regret that a customer was mistakenly served a chicken pitta instead of the halloumi pitta ordered.
"Nando`s has the utmost respect for all our customers` eating choices and this was an honest and extremely rare mistake which the restaurant are extremely sorry about.
"We are currently in contact with the customer and have offered our sincere apologies and are investigating how this has happened to ensure it doesn`t happen again."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan