Indian-origin widow `in bits` over mystery pool death
London: An Indian-origin wife was said to be "in bits" after her husband`s mysterious death in a swimming pool at a luxury hotel near London.
Gurpreet Kpakiwa`s husband Komba Kpakiwa was found floating face down in the pool at Down Hall Country House Hotel, in Essex, on Saturday evening with a 22-year-old student nurse Josephine Foday.
Media reports here have referred to Foday as his girlfriend, who was celebrating her birthday at the hotel with the 31-year-old supermarket manager from Erith in Kent, south-east England.
Gurpreet, who has two children aged 4 and 7 with Komba - originally from Sierra Leone - was said to be in shock and being cared for by her family.
"She is in bits and struggling to work out what happened to Komba on Saturday. She`s in a bad way and is hardly talking to anyone. We`re all desperate for answers," a family friend told the `Evening Standard`.
Komba Kpakiwa`s brother Sahr claimed that Foday had been a family friend and his brother had taken her to the hotel to celebrate her birthday.
"What I know about my brother is that he was a nice and loyal man and he was respectful of his family and always proud of them. We have a close, but large, family. We are all distraught. We are there to support his wife," he said.
Asked about the circumstances of his brother`s death, he added: "It was just a tragic accident. How they came to drown is as much a mystery to us as to anyone else."
He said his mother was flying over from their family home in Sierra Leone.
An inquest into the deaths was opened and adjourned yesterday.
Police said a provisional post-mortem examination found their deaths were consistent with drowning and are not being treated as suspicious, but further toxicology tests are awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015