Indian-origin woman selected for Order of Australia Medal
Melbourne: A 85-year-old Indian-origin woman has been selected for the prestigious Order of Australia Medal (OAM) for her community services for the aged.
Krishna Arora was selected for this year`s awards for service to the community through multicultural and aged welfare organisations.
"When I came here, I found the only thing that needed attention was loneliness of new migrants. Someone said to me Australians pass their time by doing community work. I thought it was a great idea and then there was no looking back," said Arora, former principal of a Delhi-based catering college.
Arora, also popularly known as `Auntieji`, runs a hotline tele service offering cooking tips.
"For a newly arrived person, it is very, very important they get in contact with the right type of people who will be able to tell them the little customs and traditions of Australia and get on with life," said Arora.
She has also been teaching Asian cooking to Australians for two years at one of the Community Centre in Western suburb of Victoria.
"I feel extremely pleased and encouraged to work more for the community" she said.
The other Indian-origin women who had earlier received the honour include Joyce Westrip (2000), Mala Mehta (2006) and Vettath Rajkumar (2009).
In November last year, iconic Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar was also conferred with the prestigious award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Quake brings down buildings in central Italy, at least six believed killed
- Work on 'Padmavati' sets in full swing, shoot begins in September
- Japan, China, South Korea agree to urge North Korea to stop provocation
- Venus-Jupiter conjunction on August 27: Viewing tips! (Watch)
- Staying at budget hotels in Delhi to soon become cheaper