Indian-origin woman selected for Order of Australia Medal
Melbourne: A 85-year-old Indian-origin woman has been selected for the prestigious Order of Australia Medal (OAM) for her community services for the aged.
Krishna Arora was selected for this year`s awards for service to the community through multicultural and aged welfare organisations.
"When I came here, I found the only thing that needed attention was loneliness of new migrants. Someone said to me Australians pass their time by doing community work. I thought it was a great idea and then there was no looking back," said Arora, former principal of a Delhi-based catering college.
Arora, also popularly known as `Auntieji`, runs a hotline tele service offering cooking tips.
"For a newly arrived person, it is very, very important they get in contact with the right type of people who will be able to tell them the little customs and traditions of Australia and get on with life," said Arora.
She has also been teaching Asian cooking to Australians for two years at one of the Community Centre in Western suburb of Victoria.
"I feel extremely pleased and encouraged to work more for the community" she said.
The other Indian-origin women who had earlier received the honour include Joyce Westrip (2000), Mala Mehta (2006) and Vettath Rajkumar (2009).
In November last year, iconic Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar was also conferred with the prestigious award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor