Indian school in UAE ordered to shut down
Dubai: The academic future of some 1,400 students has been thrown into jeopardy after the United Arab Emirates (UAE) authorities ordered the closure of an Indian School.
The Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) has ordered the closure of the Indian Islahi Islamic School in Abu Dhabi, effective April 1, 2014, as part of its clampdown on villa schools or schools run on designated residential plots.
The ADEC started the clampdown for avowed safety reasons in 2008 when there were 72 such schools.
Parents and students of the latest school to come on the school regulator`s radar are now a worried lot, according to media here.
“We’re panicking because we don’t know what to do ... we all have to rush now and most schools are full, so it’s very difficult on us,” The National daily newspaper quoted Shenooja Niazudeen, a mother of two, as saying.
John Joseph, father of a 16-year-old boy who had been to the school for just one term, expressed shock at the sudden notice.
“I’m really not happy about this because I paid next term’s fee Wednesday and got the notice Thursday,” he said.
Joseph, however, has managed to find a seat for his son in another school at a place that is outside of Abu Dhabi.
“I managed to find him a seat at the Sunrise English Private School in Mussaffah, but I pay 2,800 dirhams ($762) a term here and 4,600 dirhams there,” Joseph told the newspaper.
According to the report, some students have already left the school and the school has started issuing transfer certificates to the pupils.
Meanwhile, ADEC, in its notice, has also provided to parents a list of private schools in Abu Dhabi with curricula, locations and contact details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery