Indian sentenced to 10 years in jail in UK for raping TV star
London: A 25-year-old Indian student has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by a British court for raping a TV star in her hotel room after a birthday party.
Soby John, a porter, used another worker`s key card to let himself in before attacking the woman celebrity as she slept after a night of heavy drinking with her friends.
John, who admitted rape, will be deported to India after serving his sentence, British tabloid `The Sun` reported today.
Judge Alistair McCreath of Southwark Crown Court said John, an Indian student studying in the UK, deliberately targeted his victim at the London hotel because she could not defend herself.
The judge said: "She now suffers massive anxiety, is frightened of staying in hotels and has huge trust issues with people. She is scared to go out on her own and no longer feels comfortable with men. She is frightened someone will hurt her."
McCreath said: "I have no doubt you raped her because she was so drunk so she could offer no physical resistance. This degrading act was made all the more degrading by the fact you took photos of her."
John, of Wembley in North London, initially told police the woman "made advances" to him which he rebuffed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Researchers identify rare form of hereditary colon cancer
- India should not hold dialogue with Pakistan: Samajwadi Party
- French PM `open` to interim ban on foreign funding of mosques
- Nirbhaya case: Convicts' lawyer challenges 'iron rod' theory, announces Rs 10 lakh reward for anyone who proves it
- Surprise! Bhagyashree looks amazingly hot in these latest PICS