Indian student shot dead in Canada
Toronto: An Indian student, working part time
at a convenience store, was shot dead in the western Canadian
city of Surrey, in a shocking Christmas Day attack.
Alok Gupta, 27, had volunteered to work the afternoon
shift to allow the store owners celebrate Christmas together,
and was killed by an unidentified gunman.
It is not yet clear whether Gupta was shot during a
Police is yet to make an arrest in connection with the
case, but say they do not believe it was gang-related.
"The victim was working Christmas Day as a good deed to
the owners who wished to celebrate Christmas together," said
Sgt Jennifer Pound of the Integrated Homicide Investigation
Gupta sought help at a nearby residence and was taken to
hospital. However, he was pronounced dead a short time later,
Pound was quoted as saying by the `Vancouver Sun` newspaper.
"Although it appears that the victim died from a gunshot
wound, the cause of death will ultimately be confirmed through
an autopsy," she said.
Gupta`s brother-in-law Nitin Bhutani said his family is in
a state of shock since they were informed of the shocking
Bhutani said Alok, who was studying Master`s in Business
Administration at Kwantlen University, was getting "excellent
grades" and was close to the top of his class.
The family`s main concern is that police arrest Gupta`s
murderer, Bhutani told a news channel from Germany.
"We want that Alok should get justice and the guy who is
at large, who did that, should be put behind bars."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata