Indian students keeping off UK universities?
London: Recent changes to the student visa
regime and the forthcoming closure of the post-study work visa
from April 2012 has reportedly led to drop in number of
Indians applying to study at British universities in the next
The post-study work visa, which enables non-EU students
to work for two years in the UK after completing their
courses, has been popular among self-financing Indian
students, who try to recover the cost of their study by
working after their course is over.
The Home Office has announced that the post-study work
visa will be closed from April 2012 as part of the David
Cameron government`s efforts to reduce immigration.
Recent changes to the student visa regime are also driven
by efforts to prevent its abuse.
According to Times Higher Education (THE), an
authoritative publication focused on the higher education
sector, British universities have been "hit by a downturn in
demand from Indian students".
Noting that changes to the student visa regime had
adversely affected international students, THE reported that
"a number of institutions are seeing declines of between 20
and 30 per cent in applicant numbers from the Indian
THE reported in its latest issue said this is in addition
to Middlesex University and the University of Greenwich, two
institutions that have recruited heavily from the region and
are already known to have experienced a dip in demand from
"The fall is thought partly to be due to negative media
coverage of UK visa policies, but is also being influenced by
the closure of the existing post-study work route in April
2012," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter