Indian Studies Department involved in another scandal
Kuala Lumpur: The Indian Studies Department
of the University Malaya (UM), which was tangled in a
leadership crisis recently, is reported to be involved in more
mess now with new scandals emerging, news reports said on Wednesday.
Investigations have found misconduct in the marking of
PhD thesis papers and the higher number of students being
awarded first class honours degree at the department, local
UM vice-chancellor Datuk Dr Ghauth Jasmon said the issue
is "something that could not be accepted. This has happened
for a long time and it seems that the faculty is not capable
of correcting it," he wrote in a report submitted to the
Higher Education Minister.
"After assessing the situation of the department, I have
made a conclusion that this department, with its current
leadership, is not capable of correcting this unacceptable
The local English Daily The Star`s Malay language news
portal mStar said that in the report, Dr Ghauth had attached
the statistics of bachelor`s degree honoured by the department
that has showed a 50 per cent increase.
In 2006/07 session, the number of graduates with first
class honours was more than 64 per cent.
Dr Ghauth also said an investigation by the Literature
and Social Science Faculty dean found the examiners of the PhD
thesis papers were from two universities in India.
He said one of the examiners, who was appointed to supervise
this, was forced to complete his report in three days. He said
they have suggested that the thesis papers be re-checked.
The crisis at the Institute grabbed headlines a few weeks
ago when its head, an ethnic Indian, was removed and a
non-Indian named in his place.
This led to protests by Indians including the head of the
largest ethnic Indian political party, Malaysian Indian
Congress (MIC) Samy Vellu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- 'Kaabil' an opportunity to establish myself commercially: Yami Gautam
- Pokemon Go mania causes international incident on US border
- What makes an online dater successful!
- Donald Trump asked to stop talking about Benghazi victims
- Under construction building collapses in Hyderabad, several labourers trapped