Indian Studies Department involved in another scandal
Kuala Lumpur: The Indian Studies Department
of the University Malaya (UM), which was tangled in a
leadership crisis recently, is reported to be involved in more
mess now with new scandals emerging, news reports said on Wednesday.
Investigations have found misconduct in the marking of
PhD thesis papers and the higher number of students being
awarded first class honours degree at the department, local
UM vice-chancellor Datuk Dr Ghauth Jasmon said the issue
is "something that could not be accepted. This has happened
for a long time and it seems that the faculty is not capable
of correcting it," he wrote in a report submitted to the
Higher Education Minister.
"After assessing the situation of the department, I have
made a conclusion that this department, with its current
leadership, is not capable of correcting this unacceptable
The local English Daily The Star`s Malay language news
portal mStar said that in the report, Dr Ghauth had attached
the statistics of bachelor`s degree honoured by the department
that has showed a 50 per cent increase.
In 2006/07 session, the number of graduates with first
class honours was more than 64 per cent.
Dr Ghauth also said an investigation by the Literature
and Social Science Faculty dean found the examiners of the PhD
thesis papers were from two universities in India.
He said one of the examiners, who was appointed to supervise
this, was forced to complete his report in three days. He said
they have suggested that the thesis papers be re-checked.
The crisis at the Institute grabbed headlines a few weeks
ago when its head, an ethnic Indian, was removed and a
non-Indian named in his place.
This led to protests by Indians including the head of the
largest ethnic Indian political party, Malaysian Indian
Congress (MIC) Samy Vellu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared