Indian tourists robbed at Thai beach resort
Bangkok: Two Indian tourists in the Thai beach town of Pattaya, were allegedly forced to pay USD 1,400 after being threatened by a gang which claimed the jet skis used by the duo were damaged after use.
A police official said he came across two Indian men sitting on a pavement, crying and looking stressed while he was patrolling along Pattaya beach last night, the Bangkok Post reported.
Medical students Rajkumar Ramachandran, 27, and Prabhakar Tamilmaran, 22, told him they were threatened and extorted by a group of men running a jet ski rental business on Chai Had Road, the police official said.
There have been similar incidents in the past where several Indian nationals have fallen for the scam and forced to cough up hundreds of dollars.
The modus operandi in the crime is very simple.
When the jet skis are returned after use by the tourists, some operators claim that the vehicle has been damaged and extort money from scared non-Thai speaking tourists.
"After we returned the jet skis and parked them next to each other, strong waves caused them to hit one another," one of the tourists said.
Later, the owner and six men surrounded them and demanded an explanation.
The two Indians told them that the jet skis did not bump into one another while they were driving them, but only after they were parked, and that the damage was minimal.
"The men demanded USD 2,000 from us. We were afraid and all we had was USD 1,400, or about 42,000 baht," the tourists told the police.
The gang accepted the payment and left.
"We visited Thailand because it is a popular tourist destination and because Thai people are nice and friendly. We never thought that we would experience this," the tourists were quoted as saying in the news report.
Prasit Mansri, investigative officer at Pattaya police station, said the two tourists had filed a complaint with police.
They wanted police to inspect the actual cause of damage to the jet skis and determine whether it was worth the money they were forced to give the operators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly