Indian tries to smuggle gold as luggage handle in UAE, arrested
Dubai: An Indian has been arrested at Sharjah International Airport for attempting to smuggle gold, moulded into the form of luggage handles, to India.
The suspect was nabbed by customs officers at the airport while heading to India, according to an official spokesperson from Sharjah Police.
He was arrested after failing to declare the gold to the airport authorities and inspectors at the cargo village at Sharjah Airport. When the bag was inspected, authorities realised that the suspect had removed the metal handle and replaced it with one made of gold, the Gulf News reported.
In the recent past, Sharjah Police have foiled a number of gold smuggling attempts by people using innovative methods in order to escape taxes.
Sharjah Police have warned residents and visitors not to take part in such activities that violate laws of their countries. They have also urged community members to cooperate with security agencies and report any suspicious behaviour or crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt