Indian tries to smuggle gold as luggage handle in UAE, arrested
Dubai: An Indian has been arrested at Sharjah International Airport for attempting to smuggle gold, moulded into the form of luggage handles, to India.
The suspect was nabbed by customs officers at the airport while heading to India, according to an official spokesperson from Sharjah Police.
He was arrested after failing to declare the gold to the airport authorities and inspectors at the cargo village at Sharjah Airport. When the bag was inspected, authorities realised that the suspect had removed the metal handle and replaced it with one made of gold, the Gulf News reported.
In the recent past, Sharjah Police have foiled a number of gold smuggling attempts by people using innovative methods in order to escape taxes.
Sharjah Police have warned residents and visitors not to take part in such activities that violate laws of their countries. They have also urged community members to cooperate with security agencies and report any suspicious behaviour or crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report