Indian university teacher found dead in Nigeria
Abuja: An Indian lecturer has been found dead in Nigeria`s southern Benin City after he had gone for a trek, and is suspected to have died of exhaustion.
The body of Balvant Rai, who was in his 50s, was found lying face down near a golf club with minor bruises on Wednesday morning. His umbrella was found beside him.
An autopsy was carried out to ascertain the cause of death of the lecturer at the Department of Petroleum Engineering at the high profile University of Benin.
"There was no bullet mark and no facts of strangulation yet but we are waiting for the result of the (autopsy) report," University spokesman Osaze Osarnren said.
Rai had been residing in Nigeria for over 30 years. Local newspaper Vanguard reported that the back pocket of the lecturer was turned out, which indicated that some hoodlums may have searched his pockets and taken away his cell phone.
Residents of the area said the Indian national hardly used a vehicle and preferred trekking.
The Nigerian government started hiring a large number of Indian teachers and other experts in the 1970s. Towards the end of the 80s, many of them returned to India but some decided to remain in the oil-rich African country.
At present, it is estimated that there are 17,000 Indian expatriates in the country, with some of them owning industries. Outside the federal government, Indian companies
are the highest employers of labour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM