Indian wins USD 272,2570 as compensation after mishap in Dubai
Dubai: A 47-year-old Indian has been awarded one million dirhams (USD 272,2570) as compensation by a Dubai court after a car accident left him paralysed.
A K, identified only by his initials, had lost his ability to eat or drink and needed 24-hour assistance following the 2012 accident.
The Dubai Appeals Court ordered the insurance company to pay one million dirhams in civil compensation to A K, Gulf News reported.
The man, who worked as a cook for 17 years, was travelling from Abu Dhabi to Fujairah in a vehicle when the driver fell asleep before losing control of the car, which overturned on Dubai Bypass Road.
A K was later admitted to a hospital and underwent surgery. He had to remain in hospital for three months. He has since been repatriated.
The man lodged a civil lawsuit against the insurance company seeking two million dirhams in compensation.
"A K sustained medical, physical, financial and moral damages following the accident. He cannot eat, drink, walk or use his hands or legs or even use the washroom without a permanent escort," according to his lawsuit.
A court-assigned medical committee said the victim sustained a 100 per cent permanent disability and that his condition would not improve.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!