Indians block Panama roads in debate over mining
Panama City: Members of an Indian tribe in Panama are blocking roads in two provinces on the border with Costa Rica in a dispute over mineral exploitation on their lands.
Protesters from the Ngobe-Bugle tribe have been manning roadblocks of stones and branches set up on Monday in Bocas del Toro and Chiriqui in western Panama. They have also closed sections of road in Veraguas province.
A tribal spokesman said on Thursday that the protesters will not negotiate directly with the government but want discussions with the Central American country`s Legislative Assembly. The assembly has taken initial steps toward lifting a mining moratorium in the region where many of the tribe`s members live.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday