Indians block Panama roads in debate over mining
Panama City: Members of an Indian tribe in Panama are blocking roads in two provinces on the border with Costa Rica in a dispute over mineral exploitation on their lands.
Protesters from the Ngobe-Bugle tribe have been manning roadblocks of stones and branches set up on Monday in Bocas del Toro and Chiriqui in western Panama. They have also closed sections of road in Veraguas province.
A tribal spokesman said on Thursday that the protesters will not negotiate directly with the government but want discussions with the Central American country`s Legislative Assembly. The assembly has taken initial steps toward lifting a mining moratorium in the region where many of the tribe`s members live.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city