Indians outraged over demolition of Hindu altar in Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur: The Indian community has expressed fury after a Hindu altar was demolished in a Malaysian town.
The Sepang Municipal Council (MPSP) demolished the Hindu altar in a house in Taman Seroja in Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi last week.
The MIC and several Indian groups are demanding an explanation from the council and the Selangor Government for the high-handed action.
MIC Youth Secretary C Sivarraajh said 30 enforcement officers from the council went to the house on November 20 and demolished the altar, which was erected within the gated compound.
According to the Star, house owner Umah Devi, 35, said she received a notice from the council to demolish it on grounds that the structure was allegedly in violation of council bylaws.
“My husband went to the council to appeal and was told it would be considered. But we received another notice stating that we would have to pay a RM250 daily fine if we did not tear it down,” she said.
“The officers arrived without notice. We tried to negotiate with them but they went ahead and demolished it,” she added.
Indian Athma Sakthi Association president and founder Vasantha Kumar said it was common for Hindus and Chinese to have altars.
“This action clearly shows that the Selangor Government, of which PAS is a part of, is not tolerant towards Hindu culture. Does this mean that under the Pakatan Rakyat, the Hindus, Buddhist and Taoists cannot have altars at home?” he asked.
State executive councillor Dr Xavier Jeyakumar said local councils had the right to take action against illegal structures built inside or outside a house, adding that the state government could not interfere without a valid reason.
He said the altar could not be construed as a religious place as there had no prayers or ceremonies held there, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir