Indian`s subway death: NY woman indicted, deemed fit for trial
New York: A 31-year old woman, accused of shoving an Indian immigrant to his death in front of a subway train last month as she hated "Hindus and Muslims", has been found mentally fit to stand trial and was indicted on charges of murder as a hate crime by a US grand jury.
Erika Menendez of Queens pushed Sunando Sen, 46, in front of an oncoming subway train on December 27, telling authorities later that her hatred for "Hindus and Muslims" prompted her to do so.
Menendez had shown no remorse for her actions during an initial court hearing after her arrest last month, often laughing uncontrollably and telling a authorities that she "pushed a Muslim... In front of the train because I thought it would be cool."
At the hearing, she was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said that at a hearing before Acting Queens Supreme Court Justice Dorothy Chin-Brandt in a criminal court yesterday, Menendez was deemed fit to stand trial.
Indicted on charges of one count of second-degree murder as a hate crime and two counts of second-degree murder, Menendez faces up to 25 years to life in prison if convicted.
She has been ordered to return to court on January 29, when she would be arraigned on the indictment.
She remains held without bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price