Indicted lawmaker Ishikawa tenders resignation from DPJ
Tokyo: Tomohiro Ishikawa, a Democratic
Party of Japan lawmaker and former aide to DPJ Secretary
General Ichiro Ozawa, tendered his resignation from the
ruling party on Thursday following his indictment over funding
irregularities in connection with a Tokyo land deal.
His resignation will likely further stir the opposition
camp`s demand that ruling party kingpin Ozawa also take
responsibility for the funds scandal, which resulted in the
indictment of one other former secretary and a current aide
for the seasoned lawmaker in addition to Ishikawa.
Ishikawa, 36, who worked for Ozawa`s Rikuzankai funds
management body, was indicted Feb 4 for failing to log 400
million yen in income for it, which was allegedly used to
purchase the land in Tokyo`s Setagaya Ward, in violation of
the Political Funds Control Law.
Ishikawa, a House of Representatives lawmaker, quit the
party against a backdrop of unabated criticism from not only
opposition lawmakers but also some in the ruling camp that he
should leave it.
Speaking to the press Tuesday in the city of Obihiro,
Hokkaido, where his constituency is located, Ishikawa declared
he would not resign as a lawmaker or leave the party, citing
that his local supporters have encouraged him to stay on.
But the following day, Ishikawa conveyed his intention of
leaving the party to party officials.
Opposition parties have submitted to parliament a
resolution demanding that Ishikawa resign as a Diet member,
although there will unlikely be a vote for it as the ruling
bloc has been opposed to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video