Indonesia arrests top terror suspect
Jakarta: Indonesia police said on Friday they
had arrested top terror suspect Abu Tholut, seen as one of the
most dangerous Islamist extremists in the mainly Muslim
Tholut, 49, is suspected of playing a lead role in the
formation of a militant training camp that was found in Aceh
province in February, as well as recruiting militants and
raising illegal funds for terror activity.
Police spokesman Djihartono said the suspect also known
as Mostofa, Pranata Yuda and Imron Baehaqi was arrested
without offering any resistance in Kudus, Central Java
province, this morning.
"He was arrested at his home and he made no attempt to
fight us," he said.
"We also found a firearm ... with eight bullets in the
magazine, and several bullets which were wrapped inside
Tholut received militia training in Afghanistan during
the mujahideen war against the Soviets in the late 1980s and
became a leading figure in Southeast Asia`s Jemaah Islamiyah
(JI) terror network when he returned home.
He reportedly sent Islamic militants to fight Christians
in Sulawesi from 1998 to 2001 and served less than half of a
seven-year prison sentence handed down in 2004 for the bombing
of a shopping mall in Jakarta three years earlier.
The Central Java native also allegedly helped establish
training camps for Islamic militants in the Southern
Philippines, including the al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group.
In recent years he reportedly split from JI and joined
another radical group called Jamaah Ansharut-Tauhid, set up by
extremist cleric Abu Bakar Bashir.
Bashir is in custody along with dozens of other militants
linked to the Aceh cell, which was allegedly planning attacks
against Westerners, the security forces and assassinations of
Security analysts said that despite going through a
deradicalisation programme in prison, Tholut was a key
coordinator for Islamist militants in Indonesia, who are bent
on creating a caliphate across much of Southeast Asia.
"There is no doubt that that he has military training
skill as he is an alumni of Afghanistan, Mindanao and Poso,"
Institute for International Peacebuilding researcher Taufik
Andrie said, referring to conflict zones in the Philippines
"He is on the most-wanted list because of his skill in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark